Category Archives: Uncategorized
Condensing boilers are really efficient, making the fuel you’re burning to heat your home go further. According to the Energy Saving Trust replacing an old boiler with a new high-efficiency condensing boiler, replacing your heating controls with new digital thermostats and radiator controls could save you as much as £500.00 a year.
Here we explain how condensing boilers work and what the key differences are between condensing and non-condensing boiler models.
How condensing boilers work
A high-efficiency condensing boiler is a good choice if you’re looking for a greener and more efficient boiler. This is because condensing boilers are able to make better use of the heat they generate from burning fuels, such as gas or oil. With a heat-only boiler, some heat is wasted in the form of hot gases released from the flue. A condensing boiler captures some of the heat from these gases and uses it to heat water returning from your central heating system. It therefore requires less heat from the burner and is more efficient.
Condensing boilers vs non-condensing boilers
Both combi and heat-only boilers can be either condensing or non-condensing. Building regulations now state that all new boilers installed in a domestic home should be high-efficiency condensing boilers, although exceptions do apply in rare cases. A non-condensing boiler will typically take air in from inside the room, whereas a condensing boiler will be fully sealed and takes in air directly from the outside. Condensing boilers are safer than non-condensing boilers, as there is a much lower risk of anything being sucked into the boiler. What’s more, a condensing boiler is typically at least 25% more efficient than a non-condensing model.
We can replace your old boiler with a high efficiency boiler from only £1,400.00 (excluding VAT) meaning you could recoup the costs in around 3 years.Find out more
One of our clients recently installed a TaDo smart thermostat to an existing system that we installed some months ago. Craig decided to call the customer and find out more about why he chose it and if it has made any difference.
Our client stated that: “TaDo is saving me a fortune on heating a property when I am not home”. TaDo does this by detecting when his mobile phone is at home, only then does it heat the house.
Heating not working? Hot water not working?
Carry out the few basic checks listed below, they could save you a call out.
- Check boiler is turned on – if not check the fused spur, fuse board and switches
- Boiler on but no heat, or radiators only hot at the bottom – the system pressure could be low, check the pressure gauge on the boiler and top up if necessary
- Boiler on but no heat or hot water – check for a blue flame, if necessary follow the instructions to reset/relight your boiler
Still having issues? Then why not call us – we may be able to resolve the issue over the phone.
Can you smell gas?
Feeling ill? Headaches… nausea… dizziness?
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas boilers, cookers and fires can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
In a gas emergency act quickly and take the following safety steps:
- Get fresh air immediately. Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room
- Switch off the appliance and do not use it again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer
- Turn off the gas supply at the mains
- Call the National Gas Emergency number (see below)
- If you are feeling ill visit your GP or the hospital immediately and tell them that your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Contact us to check all your gas appliances.
National Gas Emergency number: 0800 111 999.
In an emergency it always handy to know where everything is, and have it written down. We recommend everyone in the house hold knows the following:
- Location of stop cock
- Location of gas inlet
- Location of heating top up valve
- How to contact Gas Tite
- Location of fuse box
- Location of fused spur for boiler (if applicable)
This will save time in an emergency.